Architecture You Love
A North Carolina 501C3 Educational Nonprofit Archive Documenting, Preserving, and Promoting Residential Modernist Architecture


Enjoy browsing, but unless otherwise noted, these houses are private property and closed to the public -- so don't go tromping around uninvited.


Connelly graduated from NCSU with a BS in Architectural Engineering in 1929.  He was a detailer for Southern Engineering Company from 1930-31 and worked for Newport News Shipbuilding from 1931-1932.  Starting in 1934, he opened his own design firm in Charlotte. Later he partnered with others to form Connelly Winecoff Cooley.  Connelly was a drummer and played regularly with the opera and the Charlotte Symphony.  He also was an avid golfer.

Other projects included the Gastonia Country Club, Sardis Presbyterian Church, South Mecklenberg High School, and the Charlotte Observer Transportation Company.  According to his daughter-in-law Connie Roper  Connelly, he was the architect for the Quail Hollow Country Club, the Myers Park Country Club, the Carmel Country Club, Park Road Baptist Church, Cotswold Shopping Center (destroyed to build a Publix), and was a consultant to design most of the Foxcroft development.

We don't know much about Charles Connelly or his houses, please send any information to

1937 - The L.H. Harris House
1937 - The R.C. Henderson House, Providence and Morrison Boulevard, Charlotte NC.
1940 - The R. T. Hammett House
 1940 - The Petrie House
1950 - The Goforth House, Colville & Twilford, Charlotte NC.
1950 - The WR Ritts House, Belvedere Avenue
, Charlotte NC.
1951 - The J. W. Wilkinson House
1953 - The Williamson House
1953 - The Keller House, Providence Road, Charlotte NC.
1953 - The J. F. White House
1953 - The George Smith House
 1953 - The Parrott Cottage 
1954 - Clyde McLean House

 1955 - The Mason Wallace Jr. House
 1955 - The S. S. McNinich House on Pineville Mathews Road, Charlotte NC.

1956 - The Parrot House
1956 - The E. H. Grayson House
1956 - The Schoolfied House

1959 - The Harry Heath House
1959 - The J. D. Lafferty House, Overhill Road, Charlotte NC.
1965 - The Irwin Laxton House, Pomfret Road, Charlotte NC.
 1972 - The RF Myers House, Pellwood Road, Charlotte NC.
1976 - The John Fletcher House
1977 - The Bruton Smith House, Sharon Road, Charlotte NC.

An all-electric house for Westinghouse or GE, Charlotte NC.

Many houses on Sharon Lane, Charlotte NC.

 The E. H. Ross House, Wendwood or Churchill, Charlotte NC.  Destroyed.
 The Ernest Tucker House
The Gaede House House

The HA Girard House, Woodland Drive, Charlotte NC.
 The MR Rae House, Forest Drive, Charlotte NC.

The Benjamin Sanford (Sam) Roper House, aka Mountain House, Hardison Road near the lake, Charlotte NC.

The Dr. John Gaul House, Hardison Road, near the lake, Charlotte NC.

The John Ladley House, Wendwood Lane (formerly the Wendover Extension), Charlotte. Destroyed.

1952 - The Frederic (Fred) L. Marietta M. Smyre Jr. House, 1101 Robinwood Road, Gastonia NC.  Commissioned 1950.  Radiant floors.  Transferred in 1993 to Robinwood LTD.  Deeded in 1999 to his son Frederick (Rick) Smyre III.  Sold in 2005 to Pricscilla A. and Frederic L. Smyre III.  Although the house was definitely designed by Connelly, Rick Smyre remembers many conversations between his parents and A. G. Odell.  It is possible that Odell referred this project out to Connelly.  For sale in 2015.

1953 - The George and Eleanor Sinnicks House, 3524 Seward Place, Charlotte.  Sold in 2011 to Douglas and Kaitlin Rose.

1954 - The John T. Bayne Residence, 3763 Wendwood, Charlotte.  Destroyed around 2006.

1958 - 2929 Belvedere Avenue, Charlotte.  Sold in 2017 to Zoe G. and Spencer G. Hanes Jr.