Architecture You Love
A North Carolina 501C3 Educational Nonprofit Archive Documenting, Preserving, and Promoting Residential Modernist Architecture


Enjoy browsing, but unless otherwise noted, these houses are private property and closed to the public -- so don't go tromping around uninvited.


Sappenfield grew up in Columbia SC and Charlotte and attended Central High School. He interned in high school at Biberstein and Bowles in Charlotte and later attended NC State. During college, he worked as a draftsman for Ornamental Stone Company in Charleston SC. 

He left NCSU to serve in the Korean War, coming back to graduate from the NCSU School of Design in 1956, having done internships with Pace Associates in Chicago and Bert King in Asheville.

He was in Denmark from 1960-61 on a Fulbright Scholarship then returned to Raleigh to teach at the NCSU School of Design. He moved to Asheville in 1963 to start his practice while commuting to Clemson SC to teach.

 Sappenfield moved in 1965 to Indiana and was the founding Dean of the Ball State College of Architecture. He continued a private practice as Sappenfield Wiegman Hall until 1968 then was solo for the rest of his career. After retiring, he moved to Fort Myers FL. His archive is at Ball State.

2011 interview by Charlie Kahn  


1958 - The Paul Putnam House, 611 Ashworth Road, Charlotte NC. Sold in 1995 to Thomas F. and Susan B. Carson. 

1958 - The Paul Goodman House, 11 Sareva Place, Asheville NC.  Sold to Walter Gladding.  Deeded in 1996 to Ellen Gladding.  Sold in 2003 to Amar and Pratibha Nath.

Around 1962 - The E. A. Hamil Guest House, 424 Vanderbilt Road, Biltmore Forest NC.  Featured in the Asheville Citizen Times, 8/25/62. 

1964 - The Hyman Dave Residence, 140 Lynn Cove Road, Asheville NC. 3552 square feet. All steel construction. Won a 1964 AIANC Honor Award. Sold in 1996 to Thelma Rotham. Sold in 2006 to Carol R. and Margie Lane. Sold in 2007 to Thel-Mar Farms LLC.

1964 - The Rudolf and Helen L. Gumpert Residence, 100 Dry Ridge Road, Asheville NC. Built by H. Southworth Company of Asheville. Won a 1965 AIANC Merit Award. Featured in the March 1965 NC Architect. B/W photos by Edward Dupuy. Sold in 1970 to Thomasina Caporella, still the owner as of 2014.

1964 - The Voit and Kathryn Gilmore House, aka Purchase Knob, Maggie Valley NC. The Gilmores donated the house and 535 acres in 2000 to the Appalachian Highland Science Learning Center in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Used for housing for researchers and also day-use environmental education programs.

1964 - The Tom and Judy Alexander Cottage, aka Cataloochee Ranch, 119 Ranch Drive, Waynesville NC. Cataloochee Ranch was founded in 1933 and was originally located in the serene and beautiful Cataloochee Valley. In 1938 Tom Alexander purchased a large part of the present Ranch property on Fie Top Mountain from Verlin Campbell, the “Potato King” of Haywood County. He inherited a sturdy stone and log cattle barn, now the main Ranch house, and several derelict cabins and sheds. The 5,000-foot elevation bordering the Great Smoky Mountains National Park also created the ideal combination of extraordinary mountain views and wonderfully cool summer temperatures. The Ranch is still managed by Alexander family members.

1965 - The William and Patricia (Pat) Callison House, 299 Webb Cove Road, Asheville NC. Contemporary house with a few Modernist elements. Sold in 2011 to Robert C. and Michelle Conklin. 

 1966 - The Jack Girard House, 14 Westwood Road, Asheville NC. Sold in 2007 to Gregory T. Matlick. Located in Biltmore Forest subdivision. A 3,944 sf contemporary. Sold in 2007 to Christen H. and Gregory T. Matlick.

1969 - The Stephens Development Company Grassy Mountain Development, Littie Switzerland NC. Built by Bell Construction. Photo by Paul Brezny. Address unknown; do you know where it is?

1972 - The Charles Sappenfield House, 2322 West Berwyn Road, Muncie IN. Photos by Craig Kuhner.

1998 - The Cuthbertson House,  8 Skimmer Road, Figure Eight Island, Wilmington NC. Deeded in 2010 to William R. Cuthbertson III.

Sources include: AIANC, daughter Sally Sappenfield, Charles Sappenfield, History of The North Carolina Chapter of the AIA 1913-1998: An Architectural Heritage by C. David Jackson and Charlotte V. Brown.